Sunday, June 06, 2010

Just not fast enough... Woodstock 2010


Did the Sprint Triathlon 600m- 20k- 4k.... and I didn't measure up.
Swam a little to slow
Rode a little to slow.
Ran too slow.

I had not felt well all week, exhausted from doing nights, had a virus, not fully recovered from the marathon, am anemic are all excuses I can used but I just wasn't excited to race.

The swim- 15:30
I honestly thought I would have done better than this. I have been putting the work in. I swim twice a week, even if I want to die I am make an effort to get to the pool. What I don't have is open water experience this year- being once, and overall not enough race experience. I should have tried to swim at the edge of the crowd rather than fight with people for a draft. At least I stayed on course.

The bike-43:56
In every race you should have a plan and than a back up plan and yet another plan. In every race I plan to drink alot on the bike. I am just thirsty then.... but I had forgotten my usual bike bottle so I had planned to use a bottle we had brought water in....but it fell of my bike at the mount line and I didn't notice for several kilometres. I only found it after the race to know where it went. Soo the last idea was to stop and pick up a water bottle on the side of the course if I saw one, I saw one but was too chicken to do so. I should have. Despite drinking half the lake I was very happy to see the first aid station on the run.
Overall I thought I was going fast, I was only passed twice by people not in my age category. Felt I was working.. but I guess not hard enough.

The Run- 19:59
This is where I felt really let down- I am a runner. I usually kill the run. I have had complete strangers telling my what a great run I had.... not so today. Off the bike I had dead legs, and my left posterior knee felt very wrong. I was almost limping... Eventually that went away but still I only passed and didn't get passed and yet it felt soo slow. Could not get into a rhythm and wanted to race to be over. I was hot and uncomfortable and I really didn't know what to do with my arms. I have ran half marathons at a faster pace. Really sucked.

Transitions
The one saving grace- I did great. The only thing I could have done better was put on my race belt faster- or worn it under my wetsuit. Even took off my shoes while riding. Didn't do a flying leap off but I was scared of the Mount/Dismount lady she seemed crusty.
Oh and to the person set up beside me in transition- you might want to tone it down a little, a metre square is a little too much space to take up in most races.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: