Sunday, July 08, 2012

Barrys Bay Triathlon

Cause I can't go on vacation and not do a race.

The Barrys Bay Triathlon is a small race with the tag line 'Challenging race in the beautiful Madawaska Highlands'. Seems to attract an accomplished field of competitors. Many of the competitors were wearing gear from iron man or 70.3 races, and all the conversations I listened in on seeamed to be about the next big race. Reviewing the results shows impressive results from the other female competitors. So basically I felt pretty intimidated.

The swim I knew was going to be bad, bad, bad. Lack of swimming due to my shoulder and my overall lack of swimming skill. Thus 18:34 for 750metres- 2:30/100m. The good was I didn't panic, just swam. The bad was I swam with a fellow wearing bright red boy shorts doing the breast stroke for all of it. Initially I thought I found somebody who would be good to draft off of but he wasn't wearing goggles so hence I settled for boy shorts.

The bike was a whole lot of hills. As in thank god for my granny gear. No bike computer to know how fast I screamed down the hills thank goodness cause I am sure it was in excess of 60km/hr. It was challenging but such a confidence buster to know that it wasn't that bad and I didn't have to walk even the 7%grade one. 1:12 for 32km. 26.5km/hr or in other words,  room for improvement.

Run was good- 8k in 37min. 4:40km off the bike which I am pleased with.

Overall good race experience. Small but I never felt completely alone out there. Good door prizes. Including the $10 git certificate to the local bakery which provided me with donuts.
My goal was under 2:10 and I was 2:08something. I was the 10th female out of 34. The  female winner beat me by 21minites, but her resume is pretty impressive. I wish i had won my age group cause then I would have gotten a pizza cutter shaped like a bicycle. But you can't win them all, well actually I have never won a triathlon.




4 comments:

Jennifer P said...

I thought about Barry's Bay, thinking it would be a smaller community race. We ended up not going - but if we did, I'm sure I would have been alongside you, feeling weird and out of place.

7% grade! Ouch!

Hope to meet you an another OUSER race later this year.

Doonst! said...

donuts bad

Janice said...

A pizza cutter shaped like a bicycle would have been cool! I'd like to win that too.

Sounds like you had a fun race anyway, despite the challenging swim. I like to go on vacation and do races myself:)

West Grey Runner said...

Glad to see you are getting some racing in. I admire the fact that you swim, bike and run!