Thursday, July 26, 2012

Dairy Milk Dash

 
It all started with a 1kg bar of chocolate seen on clearance at Zellers, and a snide comment about if I wanted a race at Mishawah why didn't I run one?
So I did.

I set up a 2.5k loop around the camp. In the process I cleaned up a nature trail that had been neglected for years, and if west Nile virus was in the area I got it.  I most likely spent at least 12 hours over the week on the race. I had to map it out on garmin, clear the trail,(Whipper sniping takes a long long time) and mark the course. When it come down to it Mishawah is a small patch of land so there was no way around not including the trail ..... and I love trail. Although Luke and I did our best to mark the course still people got turned around and the leaders came in to the finish the wrong way. Next year I will come with prepared spikes and arrows to go into the ground. I will also have a map available for preview. AND I am bring my own whipper snippier!
 
I think Maya is channeling Bree wee here. Apparently the girls ran the whole way!
Despite being given a 4pm time spot by the camp director I think we got a reasonable turn out. Wasn't impressed with the directors attitude about the race. As in I got one announcement. Funny his kids showed up?? Seems his kids like activities 'a little different eh.'?
These ladies had a blast, and were so cheerful. Willing to try even though they are not runners.
I was overwhelmed with the amount of Hanover people who came out to walk. Even people who limped through the whole thing. Really it gave me so much joy seeing my friends  running and walking. Like I birthed another baby!

Everybody got a as many freezzies as they wanted. There was door prises for the dairy milk and some Oh Henry's. I actually forgot to make metals so look for them next year.

Honestly it was the highlight of Mishawah for me. I have been asked numerous times to resurrect the Chesley community classic which benefits the hospital foundation....and it is looking tempting.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey by the looks of this particular picture I think I might have beaten Tim LOL Thanks Anne for your organizing of this!!!!!
-Marie & The Whole Bezeau Family