Friday, May 04, 2012

My Issues with the Hanover Pool/ First World Problems

The inequality in the lane swim times.
The pool is available for lane swim six days a week in the morning. (Or as I like to call it the time when only crazy people are awake.) (On another note I also say that a key to a happy marriage is both parties are either morning or night people. The two should not mix) Oh yah my point- Noon lane swim is five days a week, and night lane swim is three nights a week. To review:
6am- 6xweekly
12pm- 5x weekly
8pm- 3x weekly
I would like to point out that there is also a senior swim four times weekly. For parents of children who work there is only one option. Night swims, but it is only offered  three times weekly. In the winter if I have a choice I will chose a swim over a run cause it is cold and this is Canada.



The lack of leadership exhibited by the lifeguards during lane swim.
During lane swim there are three options slow/ leisure, medium continuous, and fast continuous. At night all swimmers are very courteous and aware of where one belongs and if you are in the wrong lane people realise it and  move as not to disrupt others. People make a careful assessment prior to entering lane as not upset the flow of the lane. The focus is everybody having the best possible lane swim workout.
Lane swims at noon are a whole other kettle of fish. Old ladies who do a eight minute 100metre are suddenly considered medium continues. (They are moving continuous to be fair.) They are offended if offered the suggestion that they can't keep up with a lane. The former minister who flaps her arm and hits people cause she can't stay in her lane. People who don't get the hint you are on their toes and will not let you pass. And my personal favorite; people who enter the fast lane only to do two laps and leave. I make no assessment on the morning swim as I have never been there- possibly never will.

When people come to the ER it is not decided amongst themselves who gets to been cared for first, a professional looks at each individual situation and decides the severity of illness and who needs to be seen in order of priority. Likewise, lane swim is like the ER. The lifeguards are professionals who can assess quickly who needs to be assigned to which lane. They can make quick decisions and move people based on who is there.   My question is why don't they??


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Janice said...

I am going to propose our club advocate for better swim times in the evening. I have been waiting for someone else to talk about this problem. I should have spoken up awhile ago. For most working people, the only possible swims are in the evening. That gives us only 3 evening each week. And the swims are LATE!! By the time I get home from an evening swim, it's after 10 p.m. I'm an early to bed kind of person and I don't like to get up in the mornings. We have a strong and vibrant triathlon club in Hanover and barely any swims to access!

I also agree with the lifeguards. I almost called their supervisor Wednesday morning after Tuesday's workout. The two guards and a friend of theirs spent almost half an hour just talking. They weren't even watching the swimmers. There was some young guy with three girlfriends in bikinis pretty much playing in the lanes (mine for awhile). I left after 1600m because I couldn't take anymore.

We need the Hanover pool to do better by us!