Thursday, May 17, 2012

....and I hit a tree.


So I was just riding along, minding my own business, not really paying attention..and that was the problem, I wasn't paying attention...and hit a tree.

There was a fork in the road, go left or go right, made the decision a split second too late and I'm not sure if it was me or my bike that hit the tree. End result was falling directly backwards off my bike onto my right shoulder.
I recall just lying on the ground. Eventually i took off my helmet to get more comfortable assessing the damage. Trying to decide if it was bad enough to skip my planned run. Cause I couldn't stop crying and whimpering I decided to call it day. Problem was I couldn't move my right arm, oh and was dangling a bit, and it was rather distracting due to somebody who would not stop moaning.
Thankfully I wasn't far from the car and I was able to get my bike on the rack using my left arm and a few curse words.
I was sure something was dislocated or fractured, mostly due to the fact my right shoulder was dangling...but here's the thing.. once I was at the hospital i relaxed enough and 'things' just settled back into their proper location.
Fast forward 12days and I remain very stiff. I do have complete ROM with pain and limited strength. Have had a massage which helped alot. Waiting for a physio appointment- six weeks wait. Ultra sound shows something nonspecific could be something new or something chronic.
I can do my ADLS except dealing with my bra- thankfully my personal attendant deals with that. What I can't do is swim. One arm swimming is so stupid and I mostly look like i am drowning so I don't see the point.

At one point in my crash I must have hit my head cause i found a crack in my helmet.This is a good thing cause I had decided I hated my helmet but I really didn't need a new one. Now I needed a new helmet. Spent a ridiculous amount but it matches both bikes and it whispers to me to go super fast.

The photo is the offending tree- the missing bark is from my crash. The blue paint is my efforts to increase the markings at Allan park for my trail group. Ever helped- thus the lower paint mark.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Janice said...

Glad you could make it to the trail run tonight! And thanks for invited a bunch of others. It was a good group and I think everyone enjoyed the change of pace.

robi ayles said...

Helmets are the best idea ever! I would have bled to death (according to my doctor) without one.