Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Twitter

So I have been twitter for a while now... or I should say I have been stocking people and have made exactly six tweets.

So why I am I on twitter? Basically it was another opportunity to enter contests I am sure never to win. The latest being an entry into Ironman Canada 2011. I would have to take it, but I would also have to say goodbye to my family for six months. After the contest entry the next reason is to stock triathlon and ultra running celebrities. Then it is for the current events - although if the Owen Sound Sun times does not soon stop tweeting about hockey they will be off the list. A follow a few companies like Merrel and  MEC to hear about promotions. Then there are the few real people I know. A friend here in town, old CH friends, and people from another lifetime. Then there are the real people strangers. People I have never met. Some I have connections too like Running Mania and others I have linked from there random blogs. Usually all running/ Triathlon related.

What I do not get is why people follow me? Even the people I know in real life don't follow me... cause I do not tweet. I have tweeted once cause I was writing something about being tired and I was so tired I tweeted instead of facebooked. I asked a question to somebody, and have tweeted things to enter contests. Which I do think is a scam but there is always the hope.

Back to why I am on twitter. Another reason I think I am attracted to it is because it creates a certain sense of community. Some days Luke comes home and asks if I have spoken to anybody today and I am surprised to answer no. But I certainly feel engaged to people virtually around me. I am piping up in conversations at Running Mania, I am email friends, I am hearing all about peoples day on facebook and peeking into the windows of professional triathletes. Whats this subject interesting is that my thought on twitter were nicely summed up on a freaknomics podcast... freakanomics.. perhaps I should follow them on twitter.http://www.freakonomics.com/radio/

1 comment:

West Grey Runner said...

I don’t tweet but I do read most of your running blogs and the occasion post like this one that captures my attention for whatever reason! Blogger is more or less is a big tweet the only difference is that you come to it , it doesn’t find you!

Free stuff eh....