Monday, May 17, 2010

Missasuaga Marathon 2010

Well that is done, checked off, and yes I finished.
All week before I was just waiting and resting. Waiting to get hurt, waiting for something to happen so I wouldn't be able to run. I had dreams/ nightmares of all that training going to waste, but surprisingly I made it to the start line.

Went down the day before- THANK YOU STEPHANIE AND PAUL for looking after the kids. Luke and I almost got a divorce related to my crustiness/nervousness and would have not done well with the kids there. Toured the expo. Was disappointed at the size, I had hoped to get some arm warmers but I didn't see anything at all. Saw my Internet friend Kim. Bought some blister preventers and was the best $10 ever spent. Will give you one Ron. Went out to dinner with Tri club people who don't have links and then had fun at the pool/water slide. We had an amazingly comfortable bed at the Delta and I actually slept. Well in between nightmares.

Rise and shine at 5:20. Quick got ready and ate my porridge I had brought, a little extra chia seeds than usual. We all got to the race site in good time. Enough for last minute prep and a quick trip to the porta potties. Pictures taken, gear left with my WONDERFUL SHERPA HUSBAND and got the the starting corrals.... and I had to pee. OK to late now- will pee at a porta potty along the way.
Cannon goes off and walk four minutes to the start line. The first 5k were gravy. Just fun enjoying the moment and whoo they went by fast. Realised at 12k that I could BQ if I held steady and soon realized I had a bit extra to hold onto. But I didn't want to waste any of that time on the porta potty. So I was that girl splashing water down the front and down the back.

Before I knew it the half were separating from the fulls. I started crying realising that I was actually doing this, then was soon brought back to reality by the man who looked like a skeleton wearing the skimpy shorts and no shirt. Seriously put on a singlet.
Anyways crossed the half mark at 1:48. Felt good. Was following the pace band, feeling like a 3:38-40 would be possible.
Then I hit 25k, saw a man peeing in the trees- yelled out whoo hooo, and at that exact moment my right calf cramped/seized completely. Immittlty stopped, stretched it out and walked for 500metres up a hill. Watched the 3:40 pace bunny go by- who wasn't nice when I asked her a few questions by the way. Eventually stared running again. Every step was painful and hard. Saw the 3:45 bunny by....then it was pure survivor mode to finish. By 36k realised that were was no hope of regaining time lost., and just hoped to finish by 4:00 and threw away my 3:40 pace band. I like to call 38- 40.5 k a special version of hell. I walked a bit and kept on thinking if I can make it to 41k it will just like picking up Maya- only 1.2 to go. Thankfully the crowd support was there bringing me in. Sadly I was still listening to my Ipod and just about missed Andrea who had come all the way to see me finish. I saw her at the last moment and blew her a kiss. Her coming really made my day!
Then I was at the finishing shoot and I gave a strong finishing kick. Chip time 3:49:10

I know I should be happy with my effort for a first marathon.. but damn you nine minutes from keeping me from Boston and my ever so lusted Boston Jacket. Curses to those spectating with one on mocking me with me not quite enough time.

What did I learn? Same thing I say after every long run. More long tempo runs.
I think I could have done better with my nutrition. I had 3-4 E-LOAD tablets, a ton of water, and two sharkies every time I thought of them- which amounted to slightly less than three bags. I also took in 3 orange slices and a small piece of banana along the way. I had a gel with me but really didn't want to take it soo I didn't.

Where do I go from here?
At one point during the race I could see a trail system and for a moment forgot myself and started to go towards it, thinking 'oh lets get off this road and do something fun'. Telling I would say. I truly enjoyed the distance but did not enjoy the roads. I looked way to enviously at the bike riders.Wishing I was riding instead of running on this -insert bad word here- pavement. Thankfully it is triathlon season and my first is coming quick, thus it is time for me and my bike to become closer.

2 comments:

West Grey Runner said...

I don’t know what you are like in the pool or on a bike but if its anything like you run you will be spending allot of time on the Podium! Congratulations on a very successful first Marathon.

Berni MacKinnon said...

Wow! Congratulations for doing this Anne! I applaud you! Keep it up! Berni