Sunday, March 29, 2009

Around the Bay

Goals, we all have them Some times we share them with people, and other times we just keep them to ourrselves. Not daring to hope that they could actually happen. In every race I do I have a 'puplic goal', and 'good lord please help obtain this goal and I will sacerfice my children to you goal'.
For the 30km ATB my public goal was 2:45. I really did not feel well trained for this race, only having two 25km, a few 20km, and several 15km. Some but not enough. No real hill workouts and a single track workout. However, I really liked the sounds of the gradualted metals.

For woman to obtain:
Under 2:15- Gold
2:15- 2:30- Silver
Over 2:30- Bronze
So my private, I will keep it so quiet until I hit the start line was 2:29:29. Based on GUN time- not chip.

My results:
2:32:34-GUN.
2:31:27- CHIP

Other stats
Overall-868/4917
Gender-168/2295
Age grouping-46/334


Can you feel my frustration? I worked soo hard that race, I made up the lag in gun by 10km, and was on task to finish by 2:28 right up to 2:12. That it wasn't so good. I made it up the big hill, and was ready to put it on, but there was nothing to cook. I had bilateral intense hip pain, and a shin pain so intense I and slightly worried I have a stress fracture. I wanted to hold onto 5min/km but just could not do it, it was all I could do not to walk. For the record I walked for ten steps around 24km. Mentally it was such a blow to have so many people passing me when they kicked it the final two kilometres- literally it had to be at least 50 people. When I was handed the bronze metal I just wanted to throw it across the room. I was ashamed changing in the bathroom post with women who had silver...and gold. I know I am hard on myself but damn I wished I had trained better. CAUSE I COULD HAVE DONE IT.


Boring below- written for my own memory.
Other notes on the race include the rain..lots of rain, dripping soaked to the bone,I will be warm again in June wet. I wore a garbage bag for the first two km, but then the rain let up a bit so i chucked it, and it started to rain two kilometres later. Felt like I was caring five pounds on each foot with the weight of water soaked shoes and socks.
  • Really loved the course, actually did not think the hills were that bad. The one bridge REALLY scared me due to my aversion to bridges and open bodies of water. As well the traction was terrible.
  • To encourage myself and to give myself a boost I sing to myself the songs on my ipod. Wonder if people think I am nuts. Ok with that. On and I couldn't get the sound to work at the start line for some reason. Got it going with seconds to spare. Another runner said the look on my face was pure panic.
  • For the potentially windy, rainy, nine degree run I wore- thick carpi's, long sleeve tech shirt, and wind jacket. If I had a RAIN jacket that was breathable that would have been ideal. My running room jacket is too big.
  • Saw a man running with a pink tank, pink tutu, pink shoes and was caring a wish wand. Wish I had a costume.
  • The real hero's in this race are the 30km walkers. Seriously they walk it.... for fun..in the rain. Although, some of the walkers are much faster then the many runners.
  • No chocolate milk at the finish line.
  • Body guide would have been a good thing all around where my underwear lies. Serious chaffing. Have never had chaffing before.

So I feeling very ruff now, forgot to book a massage last week so will be making some calls tomorrow. Stairs are an issue, I even have pain in my wrist and who knows how that happened.

No comments: