Sunday, January 29, 2012

Food




I kinda get the picture that people don't really know how to cook. I have read that the cure for childhood obesity isn't gym class but home economics class.

Nor do people really know what to eat, especially not involving meat. When I am in conversation with people it comes up that we don't eat really alot of dead animals but at the time I can never really convey what we eat, so I thought I might just blog about it.

Anyways,  here is dinner tonight.
Main Course
It was 5:15 before I even thought about dinner sooo it was a quirky thrown together from fridge contents.
$5 for 500g spinach and cheese ravioli
'Sause'
-CSA onion
-CSA spinach
-50% off red pepper for a minor blemish
-75% mushroom cause they looked slightly off

Saute with olive oil and white wine vinegar. Would have used real white wine but I didn't have any.


Muffins
From The Loonyspoon Cookbook gifted by Robi. Page 287 -Pumpkin Spice Muffins

1 1/4c flour
1/2 Whole wheat flour ( I used a bit of spelt, white, and coconut  to make 1 3/4c total)
2 t pumpkin pie spice ( I used a little of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger)
1 1/2t  baking powder
1t soda
1/2t salt
1c pumpkin ( We had cooked squash on hand so we used that)
1/2c yogurt
1/2c maple syrup
1/4c melted butter
1 egg
1t vanilla
1c grated carrots
1/2c  mini chocolate chips ( We had some high quality chocolate orange chocolate that Maya was desperate to use)
1/2c walnuts ( Used those or pecans)

Mix wet and dry separate then mix. Add in carrots, chocolate chips and nuts. Bake 20-22min.  at 375. Makes around 12.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Janice said...

I haven't eaten a dead animal for a year now. I eat lots of great food though. A ton of Indian dishes cooked by my wonderful husband:)

Anonymous said...

This is the muffin recipe I like to use, it is not really a recipe, but you just throw in whatever you have that needs used up.
I made some muffins tonight and used some raisin bran that was about to go stale, some leftover rice, the remains of a yogurt container, craisins and the rest of the blueberries that were getting too mushy to eat on their own. They turned out delisious (can't spell)
http://baskersfunfoods.blogspot.com/2009/02/universal-muffins.html

Julie Strong