Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Halibution Forest 26k



This picture is for a man who does not want to be named but requested specifically to have his picture on the dink site.




Well from the photos one kinda guesses that if I am in possession of a Haliburtion stool, I must have won the race, and indeed I did. I just kinda feel like I am not worthy of it.

This was my second running for the forest. A little anti climatic over last year when it was all a big unknown. The mystical Haliburtion which a raced on two weeks notice. This year I have had some strong training, earlier in the summer, however,  for the past month I have been working tons, have had a injury and just have not made fitness a priority. Thus just wasn't sure about Haliburton. I took a quick glance at the start list for the 26k and didn't see any obvious fast names, the thing is you just never know who you don't know. At the start line the man who shall be unnamed looked around and said 'ohh there is a lots of fast girls here'. In particular I was eying up a skinny girl with a iron man Canada visor and a woman who looked muscular fit- and had a matching lulu lemon shorts and bra. As well two friends from Hanover had travelled up with me- and if the one trained regularly she could definitely beat me.  I knew that course was the driest anybody could remember but.....

I lead the race from the start to the finish. I like to go out hard, which I know isn't the best practice- that's why loops and out and backs are hard for me. I just stop pushing for some reason. Ran with the same guys I always do at ouser races. All though the first half I was looking for Grant who was running the 50k. I was praying that he stayed on course cause ummm he has a little problem with that. Not so effective as he did go off for 2k BUT that is far better than another guy I talked to who was 10k off. When I did see him I gave him a quick hug and kiss and then I got in trouble for wasting time. Last year I was so focused on the mud I just didn't notice the hills but this year they were overwhelming. I didn't feel like I walked alot, but I must have. At the the turn around I was 2-3minites up on second.  As I didn't want a repeat of last year so there was alot of glancing over my shoulder for a female presence. Didn't really care about the men, they have testosterone and I don't. It is a really pretty course and I focused on that and the stool waiting for me. Spent some time feeling sorry for myself and my hamstring. Lots of emotion knowing that I was leading this race again, and how it was mine to lose like last year. Knowing that if I could pull it off it would be my first win EVER in a race.

When it felt like I was dragging too much I took a gel. Four in fact. Last year I remember just searching my fuel belt for anything cause I was so done. Don't know if I physically need them but mentally they do give me a boost. Glad I had my fuel belt cause those aid stations just feel so far apart. I found it to be a warm day.

When I came into aid station two the volunteers I don't think really realised I was in the 26k and didn't understand my haste just to dump water my my head and go. I had a strong finish, the gate was open but I went around the edge just as the course was marked just so I know I did the right thing. Felt good knowing I was the winner but I was feeling pretty loserish about my time. ON the insane muddy course last year I was five minutes faster!!!

I think last year the stars lined up ( not that I care about astrology but I think it is a good saying) and it was my day. Even though I came second last year I feel better about that race.
This year I was struggling with an injury and stress knowing that I needed a strong finish to get back on top of the OUSER points. I have felt like I am buying my time all summer until the magic of cooler fall temperatures and Ever going to school happens. I know I should be blissed about my win but if I look back at other years and see winners times of  2:50, 2:45, 2:47, 2:31 and I feel lousy about my 2:59.

I think I have an inferiority complex. 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

no names please said...

Nice race.

West Grey Runner said...

I am proud to have spent time on the trial with you. I always knew you were a champion. Enjoy your stool.