Friday, August 26, 2011

Middle of the Pack- Xterra Style

One of my goals for the summer was to complete a off road triathlon/ dualathlon. However as time progressed it seemed it wasn't going to happen as I was yet to purchase a MTN bike. SO then I kinda decided I should be an adult and save my MTN bike money for like real life stuff. Like a back door, like our dishwasher just broke and the part to fix it is $200, or like my car is too ghetto for African lions safari so maybe I should plan for a new one. BUT then I was driving through Owen Sound and I saw a sale sign at the bike store. I will not get into what I bought cause I kinda obsess over if that was the best bike for my money spent so lets just leave it.

Anyways bought the bike on Tuesday and realised there was a Xterra race to be entered on the Sunday. Got two rides in prior to the race totaling maybe two hours on technical  trails. The race was held at hardwood hills near Barrie. I had actually rode there about eight years ago but I certainly did not remember the trails and I was assured the trails had changed since then.
The race was 3.8k run/ 16.2k Bike/ 3.8run. - had a respectable first run in 17:30 6/20 females. As I was doing the entire race in my running shoes I got onto the bike quickly. Took about 2km for the first female to catch me, then it was a steady stream of passing. Spent a far bit of time just pulling over so people could pass, didn't want the stress of somebody riding my back wheel.  LOVED the technical single track. Can certainly see the advantage of knowing the trail you will be riding on well. Where as in road racing sure there are some technical skills required but really road is road any where you go.  It was a two lap course and by the end of it, after the rain and the resulting mud I was done. Though I think I wowed the race director with my superior dismount. Of course perhaps he was just smiling cause the males had just crossed the finish line before I even started my second run.  Bike- Did the loops in 36minites each. The fastest female did them in 26minites each. 12/20.

Second run in 19:45. I ran down one girl but quite frankly just didn't have time to catch anybody else. Seriously the female who came in 8thOA did her second run in 26 minutes  and she still had such an advantage over me because of the bike. I knew it would be bad but I didn't think it would be quite that bad. I ended up 11/22. Definitely no metal for me this race.

So everybody wants to know if I wiped out. Yes I did. In fact I think I had sex with my bike during my most spectacular tumble. Part of the issue was my rear brake was a little non functioning so I just overshot the trail on many occasions.
Overall good race experience, the organization was good. The race director looked  my OAT number so I didn't have to pay extra, I wasn't supposed to get a shirt cause I signed up soo late but I did, and it is a really nice one. The course was well laid out. Nobody- even an old man could have gotten lost there. My one complaint was you did a 2k section four times!! There was a post race BBQ and there was good honey stingers products in the registration bag. Too bad I am allergic to honey. Somebody will benefit.
All in all I can't wait to do another, just next time I hope not to be soo embarrassed by my bike skills.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

Haha, great story; reading this makes me want to go mountain biking!! And btw, great new Post Dink picture (banner? Anyway, the spot at the top where it says "Post Dink" ...). Lovely picture!