Monday, August 31, 2009

Chocolate Half Marathon

Today.. well I guess it is yesterday now, I did the Chocolate half Marathon in Port Dauilhouse. This was the inogernal year for the race, it sounded like a fun idea so I thought why not and signed up four days before the race. Thank goodness I signed up when I did because it actually sold out.

We made a weekend of the event. Rode the five cent carousal several times, saw the lift locks, and stayed in a hotel. Major fun for a 2 and 5 year olds.

Weather was great, under 20 degrees, overcast sky's. Not to hot, but warm enough to dump water on my head at the water stations. My plan was to go out and see where my fitness was at BUT also have fun. If I felt like walking I would, and if I felt like eating chocolate along the way I would. I started off the race dry, I had forgotten to bring some water to the race site and the only water to be had was in the BR. The BR with insane long female lines, so I got men a few times to go into the men's and fill up my empty coffee cup. Overall I was relaxed, I pushed, but took the time to eat a chocolate covered strawberry, chatted with some guys, and had a good time running. Now I usually have a bit of a iron stomach. I can take a gel without water- I hate carrying it. Drink water or Gatorade and be merry. Today, as the website said gels would be provided,so I didn't worry about bring one. Trouble was it wasn't until 13-15k. To late to make any difference. So I started taking in E- load at the stations. Uggg I am still in mild GI upset. I broke rule #1 nothing new on race day. I managed to beat the one person I wanted to. Far from a personal best at 1:42:42. But I felt good about it. I feel great now, not at all stiff. Solid effort but not over taxing. Funny thing was when I finished I felt I could definitely go longer.
I was disappointed at the finish.

For it being a big to do about chocolate, there wasn't a whole lot. Sure there was some on the course, but everybody I was running with missed out on it due to not being able to eat and run. We thought there would be oodles at the finish. Nope. There was ice cream, bagels, bananas, and little bags of chips. and a coupon for a free drink after 12pm at one of the bars in town. I gave my ticket away. I wanted to stick around for the awards, and possible draw prices but I finished around 1020, and the awards were not until 1230. I wonder if anybody waited. As well the big prise was for a years membership to the local gym. I would be giving that away to. My other minor complaint about the race was stupid but the tee- shirt was given in a little reusable bag, smaller then a gift bag. What am I to do with it now. It has no use. ......and don't get me started on the chocolate metal.

No comments: