Monday, August 03, 2009

On Camping

I am not sure I like camping.

I should like camping, I can be dirty, I can go many days without bathing, I like challenges. I am a friend of the wild.

Sure you get out into the semi- wilderness, it is a cheap night away from home, but it is work.. Like at home but worse cause you are 'camping'.

I don't know if it is worth it.

I mean it took us THREE hours to pack up everything we needed for two nights away. Then we spend TWO hours setting up the tent, blowing up the air mattress, getting the bedding in place, putting up the eating tent, and then secure a tarp to the trees. Then walk a km for water, then run two to go the the bathroom, then cook dinner on the campstove that is older then me, then heat water to wash dishes. Meanwhile, am constantly looking at the weather wondering if it will rain, spraying on bug spray, watching the kids to ensure they do not fall in the fire, oh and try to stay cheerful and enjoy this family time while battling to maintain life.

Maybe when I do not have a toddler, maybe when I can go and be guaranteed it will not be damp, rain, or be cold.

I think I was just meant to be a cottage person. Wish I was meant to be a cottage person with the financial resources to be a cottage person.

No comments: