Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sadness

Today while running I took a short cut through the cemetery that I do not usually take. In doing so I found myself in the infant section. Here, there are small grave stones flush with the ground commemorating the short but meaningful lives of babes taken. Some of the parents names I recognized. At that moment I felt intense pain for those people who had gone through so much.

On the weekend I had a mother bring her babe to the emerg. The babe had multiple malformations, was not expected to live long and the parents had accepted it, they had not chosen to do everything they could, but allow it to live its short life dignified. The mother even chose to give the babe pumped breast milk. In the other room at the same time I had a retired Catholic priest who had given his entire life to serving God and now was in such pain. I cried that night driving home, both would soon be meeting their reward. One a short life, the other long. Both affected all they met. Both soon they both would be with our heavenly father.

No comments: