Saturday, June 20, 2009

Guelph Lake Sprint Duathlon




Second Multi sport event of the year was a tad better than the first... no podium finish, but solid efforts.

Great 1pm start meant we didn't have to rush this morning and actually left our house until around 9:45. The day was not so much wet as it was wet, with a bit of mud thrown in. Got into the race site with a good amount of time to set up- in the rain, stand in a long line for registration- in the rain, and warm up- in the rain. I really tried to warm up before the race- even did a few sprints, A's and B's- but no matter what I do I am just not ready when the gun goes off. Really I think I might need to run a few k's just to get going. Or maybe jump rope. HMmmm. For this race I had a gel prior to the race start and I could have washed it down with more water, but I think it went well.
First run was good- 4:19/k. T1 was wet, and I had a knot in my shoe- thus had a hard time getting it off.

Bike: Due to the MUD was sure I wouldn't be able to clip in.. but did after a few try's. Went really smooth. Felt there was alot more space on the course the Milton- even with more people. Only had a few females pass me which I am happy about. Followed the rules and stuck to the right which frustrates me cause nobody else does- I even passed people on the right cause they were riding close to the centre line. I can understand why you would want to.. the pavement being all smooth and all, but the rules do mention the importance of staying right. Speaking of which- didn't see a single OAT official on the bike course. Saw a man ridding in a speedo. Had a little trouble with my calf tightening and going into spasm. Had to change the way I pedaled for a bit and actually coasted to try to stretch it out. Managed to ride at 28km/hr. Which again needs work. Work= more time on the bike. Specifically hill work. T2 saw me fighting with the knot again, and me repeating reminding the competor beside me to take off his helmet before going out onto the run course.

Run Again: I actually had to stop and stretch my calf before I could get very far. Did alot of passing but was actually passed a few times by men. At one point I heard a man breathing behind me and thought he was having a asthma attack- but he just zoomed right past. He was 62. I tried a new strategy to help me de- stress on the run- I didn't look behind me.. Worked well- only focused on what was ahead and not behind. Run 2 was 4:48km- would have liked it under 4:30.

Overall am very pleased with today. My goal was 1:15 and I completed it in 1:16, which is good enough as far as i'm concerned. Fourth in my age group- but six minutes off third I am not getting the training in I need to make podium, so I am working on little things, learning little lessons along the way. Today I realised my transitions need to more focused, and how to mount and dismount quicker. It was a happy race. The highlight of the day for Maya was a little kids fun run with Luke. She was great- not nervous, and actually a little disappointed it was only a run and not a swim/bike/run. She worn a dress but she can wear wear her birthday suit for all I care as long as she is running.

I also saw a man run/bike/running with his teen daughter. Much like Rick and Dick Hoyt-warning- you will cry. I did today.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: