Monday, October 24, 2011

Vulture Bait

ahhhhh Last OUSER race of the year. At last a rainy day. I waited all frickin year to run a trail race in the cold and rain. I would have really preferred it in July, even September but I will take what I can get.
Got to London in good time and spent about 40min in my car trying to decide what to wear. In the end I went with the two layer combo of short and long sheves. And in the end of the race I was too hot, should have had a long sleeve and pulled up the arms as needed.
Met some Owen Sound peeps prior to the race, then at the start line asked all the girls who knew me where I should be and that's where I found the man who shall be unnamed. Wore my garmin just so I could keep track of my kilometres. The one fault of most trail races is you could be at km 5 or 15 or 18 and really have no clue. I also find it helpful to coordinate my numbers with the courses just so I know I am on course correctly.

Really liked this course, perfect fall location. Minor complaint being a long road section with a bridge where the wind wiped from all directions. I tucked in behind a fellow who was over dressed and rode it out. Major complaint (Not really) was the water crossing. Seriously I thought? In October? Am I really on course? My choices were try to skip along the rocks that were submerged or barrow though. In any event both choices would result in completely wet feet. Seems simple enough, but strangely I must have lost at least a minute making this decision.

Really was done about 20k in. Nagging left leg injury that I swore on the course I WILL be seeing physio about was causing serious issues. Should have taken more calories in, and perked up after getting some at the last aid station. The funny thing about this course is its lack of hills. In most trail races I usually don't run up alot of hills I just get low and walk. The benefit of this is conserving energy and actually getting a bit of rest and recovery from running. I found my self twice walking for the count of ten just to get a break. All that got me through the last bit was thinking about the line for massage and I had to run fast to beat the line. I was super smart and stashed a dry sweater at the building so as soon as I was done I got rid of my wet top and jumped right on the table.

Very happy to see the finish line in 2:09:58. Was quietly hoping for sub 2:15- but with this bum leg was thinking maybe 2:30. I think this might be a PB for this distance actually.  Good enough for third place and a free pair of Montrail shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK  one more thing to say. Whats with all those girls who look really fast but in reality are not?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Doonst! said...

That's fine running! I ran my 25 K PB there once upon a time. You can call me Doonst all you want.

Meghan said...

Haha, I like your question at the end ... I think some people just have really awkward running technique that slows them down. You'd think if you're competitively racing you would want to analyze that, but ... *shrug* Anyway, congratulations!!