Sunday, October 30, 2011

Horror

Just cause I have not done enough distance races this year, and I wanted some pizza, and I really liked the race shirt I thought it would be a good idea to run in circles and do the six hour race at Horror hill.

This race wasn't about anything in particular. I wanted to get 50k in  but if I didn't I wasn't going to care to much. I just wanted to go out and run. A lady from the tri club was participating in the three hour  and I was really interested in seeing how she did.

The one thing that I did want to work on was spending less time at the aid station, and somehow I figured that meant not eating much......and you can pretty well figure out how that worked. Fail.
By the time I realized my error it was way to late. It took two laps to get down my sandwich. Then I just sat for a bit. Didn't work so just go up and started going again and kinda hoped I would puke so I could start again. The sensation was similar to pregnancy- so nauseous cause I was hungry but I was so nauseous I couldn't eat. I also though maybe I was dehydrated and  to kill two birds with one stone I thought it would be smart to drink some Gatorade. It wasn't. Finally I was moping along and Barb G told me to drink some coke. At that same moment a woman had fallen and I stopped to assess her. The son who was in the race didn't want me to stop but quite frankly I was looking for a reason to stop. She was fine so I had to keep going. So when I got around to the aid station I sat down and drank some coke and ate some pretzels and basically for the next 90min kept pretzels in my pocket and munched away.

Cause I am not really trained for six hours like the other girls were who were racing I was cool with the end result of 53.3k. Less than last year actually but I finished with way less fatigue and muscle pain than last year. Although, when later that evening when I walked Maya to a friends house she did express concern about me getting home ok.

Another joyous moment was telling Ron G that no I am not interested in having sex with him on the trail as I am only interested in monogamous relationships and I am already in one. He said I am only the second who has ever turned him down, good times.

Next up, strip at night- VEGAS!!!!!





5 comments:

West Grey Runner said...

53.3..pretty darn good for a bad day! Have fun in Vegas.

West Grey Runner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
West Grey Runner said...

53.3..pretty darn good for a bad day! Have fun in Vegas.

Doonst! said...

Nice. Vegas, right, I wondered why you hadn't signed up for the Egg Nog Jog.

Janice said...

I think that's awesome! You looked fresher at 3 hours when I finished than you did at the start!

How did the coke and pretzels work out. I follow Ellie Greenwood and noted she goes for flat coke when racing. Does it help with energy? Sugar? Stomach upset? I tried chips for the sale at Run for the Toad and ended up feeling sick afterward. I won't do that again!

Glad you were there at the race. It's alwasy good to have a club member attend. I only wish I was as fast as you! Next year I want to do the 50km distance. It's a good course and it's nice to be able to stop every 2.5km.