Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tobermory Turkey Trail Run

Very pleased with this first year event. Two EMS based there used this event to fill the down time planning it. Benefiting a planned local fitness park. Incorporating a track with a play structure in the middle. Quite frankly at times in my own life I would have drove there to use. Progressive.

I did the 10miler, a mix of gravel roads, snowmobile trails, long lane ways, Bruce trail and a golf course. The only thing I have to complain about is the heat. Hot for October. Sure there was course marking questions, but what trail race doesn't have them?
At the start line I had my usual freak outs- one female I know is faster so that's ok. LOTS- (ok like 5)-  of skinny looking, LuLu girls who I figured were holidaying in the area. I figured i could pull off a top 5. Right away Joan pulls ahead- which is fine- she is faster, and surprisingly she stays in my sight for a large portion of the race. When you could see further than five feet for the trees. I was motivated by three things:
  • There was a woman with a dog running behind me, I hate dogs, I especially hate dogs I do not know.
  • The winners got chocolate apples. I like chocolate apples.
  • Luke gets mad at me if he does not think I tried my best. 
In the end I was 1:25ish for 16k. 2nd female, and I beat the male 39and under male. I usually am not competitive with the runners who have testicles but he seemed upset I passed him.

Great chili meal post- with the option to buy for the family. most people stuck around for the endless door prises. I got a $50 gift certificate for a local gift shop that was having a 50% off sale. I didn't buy the bongs.

2 comments:

West Grey Runner said...

Great racing Anne, especially passing “the guy”. Sorry I missed it but I was quiet content tapering for STWM in Cuba.

Doonst said...

Great result, way to go. Wish I could have made it.