Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cross Country





Ahhhh my favorite, so excited this year to have my baby girl participate.
Problem is I don't know who's little girl she is.
The thing is she is as non- competitive as they come. There was intense discussions about running just for fun vs. running to win. We settled on trying our best and feeling like you left it all on the course when you cross the line.

The school elected to not really push the kids to fulfill their potential. I strongly feel if you want to see any result you need to run five times a week. The kids would be amazed at the progress they make. However my suggestion was ignored and they ran three times a week. Repeatedly the teacher would give the kids misinformation and Maya would repeat it back to me and repeatedly I had to inform her that no, as her teacher is not a runner she is wrong. Now it is not as if I am complaining and didn't try to do anything about it. I volunteered to come everyday I wasn't working/sleeping to run/coach the kids. I wasn't wanted. It is not as if I am the only one though, other runner parents have asked to help and they were turned away as well.

I am very proud of Maya, I think she gave as much as a person who hates competition can. And team sports isn't really her thing either as evidenced by her intense dislike of the team shirt. I don't think she dislikes running, but I do think she doesn't like races. However, this is one of the activities this family does for physical activity so she is doing it.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kathie said...

I love her little black pants. I have the same pair!

Anne said...

I wore my same ones that day so we could match.