Monday, August 04, 2008

Subaru Owen Sound Duethlon





This was an added race for me this summer as I had not planned to have a bike I felt I could do a reasonable time on but then yeah I got one. So going into the race I analyzed results from the one previous year it had been run. Based on my intense calculations my goals were to:
-Complete the 2km run, 20km, 5km run in 1:15.
-Run like my pants were on fire for the first 2km.
-Ride my bike at a 28km/hour pace.

The first run was a fast out and back in 8:03min- which I didn't think I could possibly move that fast. The bike was terrible for the first few kilometres then a guy from the tri club passed me and said something kind which got me out of my funk. The bike was mostly flat except for a killer hill which I had to do in the granny gear at the turn around point, but I averaged a 29km pace so that was a victory. I also was really feeling the rugged condition of the road. Third run was a tad slower then I would have liked- 24:14- averaging 4:52 km. Over all I completed the race in 1:14:23. Thus 34/82 overall, 7/33, 3/13 in my age category. For my efforts I received a plaque.

It was a well run race, I really liked the delayed start for the duelathetes allowing was to watch the swim start. The food post was OK- alot of product samples but a bag was given and you only got one trip through the line so I filled it up. More beverages would be great. ie. Juice rather then soda. I was hoping for a bigger race expo but it didn't really matter cause I didn't really get a chance to look anyways. Again to improve times I need to work on my bike time. Which will happen with more time. I also used a gel for the first time and felt it made a huge difference in fatigue levels and even joy of participation levels. Minorly disappointed that I didn't get a finishers photo as I spinrted the last 100 metres or so and passed somebody at the line which is where the photographers lens was trained on.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: