Saturday, August 09, 2008

Colleen Lantz Memorial Run

My third race in six days ....... yep it was a tough one.

At the start of the race I looked around and knew that a medal finish was possible. I knew a few of the other female runners by sight and figured I could do possibly well. I had a few factors riding against me. One was as mentioned it being the third race in six days, I was not hydrated enough, my ipod is acting up- music is a big motivation, and my right hamstring has been bothering me. I managed to get a pre race free massage so the hamstring was covered but everything else was a trial. I really worked at this race. It was hilly when I was expecting flat and it went on forever. I was in second place for the first 7km but I just didn't have the legs to keep it up thus I finished 3/26 females and 12/51 overall in a time of 46:49 which is actually a personal best. An improvement of 4.59 since my 10k road race. I guess those track workouts are REALLY working. For my efforts a gift certificate from the local running store, and a medal.

The race was a memorial to a young woman who was a runner who died in a car accident just six weeks after the birth of a long anticipated child. I didn't personally know her but the tribute given to her at the race had me sobbing. This was her dream to have a local race and her family followed through.

No comments: