Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Mine over Matter

Second in the element racing off road triathlon series.... and is called MINE over Matter, not MIND. Actually only realised it yesterday after the race.
The mine comes from it held in a piece of land which once served the purpose of being a quarry for limestone- which is adjacent to the Kelso conservation area in Milton...which is far from home. So we hoteled it the night prior. Worth it, vs camping in a thunderstorm the night before a race.

Swim
1k- 22:31, 2:16 100 metre split.
Basically why do I bother swimming? I suck. Even when I think I am making progress i am still horrible.

Bike
17k-1:10, 14.5km/h*

*This result isn't actually what I rode.

Bike started out fine, got going really fast, for me, and hit a rut and fell into long grass. Pride was hurt and my chain came off, but that's not what I'm talking about.
Another rider fell in front of me,  an obvious deformity of the wrist occurring.  Went for help, stayed with her until trained personal arrived. At the same time was lapped by the winner. At that point was only a few kilometres actually into the course. Felt like pooh. Course was very doable from my perspective. Walked up the ski hill and another point where my tires were just slipping. Felt very dusty. Tried reasonably hard. Still kinda suck.

Run
8.5k- 43:16, 5:06ks
Finally something I am good at! Although at this point, it is blazing hot....and people are already coming into the finish line. That makes one feel really good about their performance up to this point.
Anyways my goal was to pass at five people on the run. Starts on double track up 1.5ish then glorious  single track for 3-4k. My impression of the trail is it is very well used. wide, non technical single. Then a out and back and down the hill back to the race site..which is where I thought the race ended. I knew we had only gone 5ish kilometres but I figured then the race was short, and not as long as limberlost. I was wrong, had to run around the lake. I was having a good run and actually didn't mind. Spent about 10seconds to long dumping water on myself at the aid station. The volunteers pointed out for me where the next woman was and I said it would be tough but I thought I could catch her.. and they laughed and said no way. I left and tried to prove them wrong. I was running 4:45ks and caught another guy and the gap i was making on the woman was narrowing but not as fast as I would have liked. I was going faster and faster but kinda resolved I wasn't going to make it but I was still gaining on her. In the finishing shoot I caught her but she pulled ahead very so slightly to beat me by one second.  Luke said he could see the entire lake run and had tremendous fun watching me make gains.

Over all I had fun. would be nicer to be a faster biker and swimmer, and I think my key to doing so  is to develop upper body strength. As in I have none. I need to work on that, and perhaps I will see some improvement. Really what do I have to lose?

The race is nice. The run could use a bit more single track and it quite flat. Very fast. Bike was very rideable except for one technical section and the ski hill. Luke liked the venue. Felt part of the race. Easy accessible. At Limberlost he felt transition cut off the spectators.
 Personally, I liked Limberlost better. It was harder and I was sure the race course on the bike would kill me. My arms were sore afterwards not from the swim but from pushing the bike up the hills. The food was great at both but Limberlosts meal also inculded salads and watermelon.  Even though it rainned, the expereince of camping on a race site was so much fun. I will be definitly doing both next year. Thanks Element racing!!!!

No comments: