Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pure Grit Trail Race

 

Posted by Picasa
How do you know I have not been running much??
I actually run a race and I feel like a truck hit me.

Haven't been running much lately due to work/ heat/ and I have been spending a bit more time on my bike. Which BTW, just when I didn't think it could happen, it has. I have developed larger thigh muscles.

As this is my no pressure/ local races/ fun races year I didn't go to Niagara falls to run the 50k, I went to Sawmill Ski trails and ran a cross country race there.
I call it a cross country race as there is no single track. In my world double track is cross country. It was close though as my legs are all scratched up from raspberry bushes, which I like cause I think it makes me look tough.

The race was held on cross country ski trails as a benefit for a Nordic cross country team. Price was excellent at $20 or $50 per family!!! The race organizer has four kids.
The race was a single loop for the short course of 7.5. Double loop for the 15k. Course ended up being  short at 13.5kish total.

When I was in line at registration I saw the local very fastest girl. Soo whatever. I am local fast not provincial fast, which she is. She is also rather pleasant, so whatever.
Lined up and set off. Tried to stick with one guy I know I have beat before but he passed me as I was dumping large quantlies of water on myself at the only water station. Course was reasonable marked but due to the field being spread out so much I had doubts on a few occasions.  On the second loop I did not see a single person. In fact I asked the aid station if I was the last person left out. I think I run better on high mileage and basically fresh legs are not good for me soo I felt like i had multiple stress fractures the entire race.
Ran the first loop in 36min and very positive split it with  41min for the second. Which totally sucks. Around 1:18 total. I blame my split on the lack of anybody else on the course to push me. I should mention I was beat by 14min. We are the same age. I blame genetics)
I am happy I was the third female though the first lap and ended up being second female OA in the long course.  Which is great cause I got a $20 gift certificate. Free race!!! Homemade cookies and watermelon at the finish line. All good to me.




1 comment:

West Grey Runner said...

Congratulations on the AG placement…got to love the local races!