Saturday, October 02, 2010

The run that shouldn't been- The Toad 2010

You know how sometimes you shouldn't make quick decisions? Apparently I don't.

People were talking about Run for the Toad and I got all caught up in the excitement and managed to buy a bib to a the sold out event. Sure it would not be recorded as me but that's ok. What is not Ok is racing the race under somebody elses name and also forgetting to put on the chip. Essentially I felt invisible.
My race progressed something like this:
  • Original plan: Gel often, run at a 5:00pace try to practice a novel concept of pacing oneself.
  • Stomach felt a little off so waited to gel at the start line. Ran the first two km in 8minutes- realize that I forgot to put my chip on my shoe. Yell obscenity.
  • New plan: That's ok, no big deal I will know how fast I am go.
  • Get disheartened. New, new plan race the first lap and take it easy on the second. Spend the entire first lap trying to convince myself to keep on pushing- try to focus on the easy fun lap to come. 50% success on that.
  • Complete the first lap in 1:02:43. Immediately start going on easy street. Walk up any hill I want, just trotting along, chatting with people. Spend a few fast kilometres running with another girl - lose her on a hill.
  • Second lap 1:10:ish. Total: 2:12:48. Took one gel. Didn't want to waste them on what wasn't going to happen.

Started to rain heavy the last 6k of my second lap. Course was just starting to get slippy and muddy when I furnished. Went to the chiro for a full treatment, went for a massage by students. The girl I got does not have a promising future. Stood in front of the heater in the massage tent until I stopped shaking. Ran to car. Could not stop shaking. Changed completely to many many layers. Went ate meal. Good food. Sat with strangers- Thanks Ang and Bodo. Watched awards, few door prises- sooo slow. Left to watch the finish line. Got cold and heated back to the car.

Then I heard my name being called... but that was impossible I thought, I was Barb M?? I was worried that Ron was hurt and gave my name so I raced up to the front. No message for Anne Mccutcheon hmmm that's odd I have never encountered another Anne Mccutcheon runner?? Realise about 10km away from the race site realise I filled out a door prise ballet with my name. Yell obscenity to myself.

Ok the course has potential for fast trail times... but I think I prefer tougher technical This felt like high school cross country. Nice facilities... except for my ever present concern of not enough toilets. There will never be enough.

2 comments:

West Grey Runner said...

That's a really fast time. You should be proud knowing what you did ...congratulations.

chris mcpeake said...

Pretty good time. Way to go. I am not sad that I ended up missing out on the mud and rain