Sunday, October 31, 2010

Horror Hill

Fall marathon vs. fall ultra.
Pavement vs. trail.
Large crowds vs. small group
Endless logistical issues vs. Simplicity
Hotel with potential bed bugs vs. my own bed.
Potential BQ vs New personal distance record.
Faceless race director vs. Race director who introduced himself and suggested I think about his race.
Toronto Good life Marathon vs. Horror Hill 6hour Ultra.

The trail won.

I went into the race with my longest run being four hours, and about a month worth of sleep deprivation related to endless night shifts so not quite prepared for the distance but prepared for fatigue. I haven't had enough time to swim this month and thus my hip has been bothering me and my chiropractor felt I pulled my sartorius muscle, but she just tells me to tough it out for everything. I was worried about the weather and clothing and a little about my pelvic floor but all non issues going into the race. Now I should say that is was not to be a race but a personal challenge.

The course was a 2.5km loop and the goal for the non- runners is to run around it as many times as possible in the given six hours. I wasn't worried about the repetition and figured I would just get into the mental place that repeats. In reality i LOVED the course. The only part I didn't like was about 200metres long, the section around the pond. I just didn't like the un even ground. There was two walk hills, and one semiwalk hill which I always walked just for the break. These were not major hills but enough you knew it would be in your best interest to walk. It was not to technical but an eye had to be on the trail for portions due to roots.

It was absolutly perfect for a first ultra as I didn't have to carry any supplies. I spent much of the time thinking about what I was going to have at the aid station on the next loop around.. and the loop after that. I have become more and more convinced that the key to successful long and fasts is to not stop taking in calories. I brought enough food to feed the entire race flied I'm sure. I was worried that I would stop digesting and get nauseated/sick but I honestly think I gained weight I was eating so much. I had:
-2 gels
-2 packages of Powerbar gel blasts
-10ish e-load caps
-Half a ham and cheese sandwich
- 1-2 bananas
- 1 apple
-1/2 orange
- Several handfuls of pretzels
-Several handfuls of almonds
-1.5- 2L of water

The race is kinda blurring all together. I wanted to chat but the women were kinda quiet/not friendly but the men were all friendly. I find I go faster if I am talking so I tried to stick with the talkers. However every so often I would get scared I was going too fast and would pay for it later so I slowed down. I had some dark moments between two and three hours as my feet were killing me. I tried some Tylenol - no result so I switched shoes, took more Tylenol, had a sandwich, and a gel and started to feel much better by 3.5 hours. There were no actual blisters but my mizenos are tight. I was convinced I needed a AA width but perhaps not. I had fun singing at times- which helped everybody else run faster to get away from me. I didn't enjoy getting lapped so many fricken times by Laurie M. Other people lapped me but she was the only person I knew by name. There were twins, dressed identically, who appartnely didn't speak a word the entire race who kinda creeped me out.

Overall my goal was to run conservatively- start slow and stay slow. To walk all the hills and pace myself. I wanted to break the marathon distance, and I figured that I wouldn't do much more as I would be going slow.
In the end I did 55.9k. I am pleased with my first ultra experience, I knew I had more in the tank and was frustrated when it came to six hours as every step as a new personal best. I don't see a jump into the ultra distance but now I know it isn't that bad

A day later I feel good. actually. Mildly stiff but nothing like the pain I felt after my marathon. I am on a two week break from running... so if anybody wants to go for a walk.......

3 comments:

Doonst said...

Excellent! Glad it all worked out well.

West Grey Runner said...

Congratulations Anne , I am very happy that you were so successful!

Angie and Bodo said...

You are our hero! Well done! Running break, what??