Monday, August 09, 2010

Pacing at the Dirty Girls

Ron over at WestGreyRunner said he was going to run 24 hours at the Dirty Girls Trail race, so of course I thought this would give me a great opportunity to volunteer to pace him through the night. Just like a tough night shift I thought. A free race experience. Just so there wasn't the appearance of anything not of the best intentions I also volunteered Luke, thus there we were running through the forest at 3am. Awesome good times.

Basically the race is a 10km loop though the Mansfield Outdoor Centre. The 10km loop was surprisingly tough. Although not incredibly technical, mostly good single track, the never ending hills really worn one down. My job was to keep Ron on task, oriented to reality, at a reasonable pace, to keep him company, make him sit and make aid stations go easy, and to point out obstacles. Basically help him not to have to think. Cause your mind can tend to go a little crazy after 12 hours of constant running.

Overall I thought it went ok after I grasped what his expectations were. How fast to go, when to run and when to walk. He kept on repeat some of the same stuff over and over, otherwise he was surprisingly with it. We had fun comparing the ultra race to the birth experience, and the signage got a chuckle at every turn. He was amazingly positive, I kept on waiting for him to get even a little not nice, and that would be ok, but that didn't happen.

Overall he did 120k is roughly 23hours. I did 40k is eight hours and man I was hurting... so I know he had to be in way past rough shape. It was mentally exhausting as well. Intense positive talk- no negatives, putting a spin on everything and being alert to all the dangers and keeping him on the trail... although he had it past memorized by the point I joined him.

Overall it all looked like such fun! I am sure I will be doing one, although Ron you will definitely have to pace me cause Luke said no way he would do it for me. Somehow I do not think my grump's would stay away.

I wonder if I could be ready for Horror Hill 6 Hour race?

1 comment:

West Grey Runner said...

Anne, I couldn’t have done it without you and Luke. It was an amazing experience that I am anxious to repeat. I would be more then happy to pace, assist or what ever any time…I owe you guys one! As to Horror Hill …. You’re ready!