Monday, September 14, 2009

5 Peaks Horseshoe Valley TRAIL Half Marathon.

On my agenda for this past weekend was the possibility of three different races. I would have loved to do all three but that wasn't physically possible, it would have been possible to two, but the reality is, financially I can barely do one. Sooo after much weighing of the pros and cons of all the races I decided on doing the 5 peaks trail series half marathon at horseshoe valley.
Went to Barrie ALL BY MYSELF the night prior to sleep at the ever welcoming Vanderkooy residence. Could not sleep as a result of nights/ wanting to finish my book, but never less I rose rested had my usual oatmeal/flax/almonds/blueberries/maple syrup, and stopped for Coffee on the way to race site. Got there a little later than I would have liked, called Luke to say good morning and realised I could not find my socks. Managed to get a XL new wigwam trail pair from the race director- guess it was a handout from another race. Gave me a blister- but the blisters I would have gotten from running without socks would have been way worse. Lined up and was ready to go!
Started mid pack second wave...when will I EVER learn. Should have started back of first wave. Now passing in a road race is easy- single track trail run-not so easy. Luckily most everybody moved over as soon as they realised I wanted past. Love, loved, LOVED the course- when I got to 15k was so disappointed it was almost over. Great single track that I excel at. On the open flats I would slow down- but the technical single track I gave all I had. IN fact after the race a woman I had passed came up to me and said her friend and her nicknamed me billy goat girl. I was flying! Serious good fun. As it was a trail, and I expected to be running around 2.15hrs I wanted to gel up twice. Around the 45min mark an aid station was offering gels. I carry my own and thought that I was starting to get a little clumsy so I would gel up with my GU, I reach into my bra..and there was one ONE. Due to extra space in my sports bra one must have fallen out through the bottom?!?! So I held off and waited until the one hour mark. Ended up running with a few racers- chatted a fair bit with a fellow from Timmins who drove 7hrs for the race. He was having it rough with the hills. Was really surprised how fast the km kept going by, just the right mix of flats and technical. Was really surprised how fast I went. I honestly expected around 2:15- 2:30, somehow I managed to do it in 1:59:42, a 6:00pace which I am thrilled with. Good enough for third woman overall.
After the race I savored the post race food without children hounding me, chatted with a guy about races, and as an afterthought looked at the results- I had just thought I had age grouped not overall- was very surprised when my name was called. For my efforts I won a bag of kicking horse coffee.
And the day just got better, on the drive home I stopped at Haisai, Michael Stadtländer’s new restaurant. Spent more on lunch then I usually would- but wonderful. Although the wooden log, stone table isn't a good combination. Tippy, and I could not get close to the table.
And then when I got home, Ever was napping- SO i got to have rest- unheard of!!
Great Day! Posted by Picasa

No comments: