Thursday, August 03, 2006

Rattlesnake

Went to my parents property in Tobermory on Monday with the family. WE have always known there rattlesnakes up there but have never seen one.
Well on monday I was heading over to the "beach" from the lot, hopped up on a rocky part you have to go over to access teh shore and instantly heard a buzz, sort of a rattlely buzz. As As I am looking down I see sort of a rattle and a snakey shape inches from my foot. I yelled and leap back. The snake I just about stepped on was curling up into a defencive shape and rattling it tail at me.
So everyone came over too see and the snake slithered into the spot you see in the picture and stayed that way for the rest of the day, rattling away at anyone who came near. We just took a different way to the shore.
It wasn't very long, shorter than a big milk snake, but it was really thick, like 8 times thicker than a garter snake. Very interesting to finally see one in the wild.
We will be a little more wary in the future I guess, and apparently this is a pretty crazy year for rattlesnakes in the area and there have been a lot of bites. Posted by Picasa

No comments: