Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Good books in unexpected places

So lately I have been reading books from the teen and junior sections at the library. It started when I read the book Eragon and its sequel, which I enjoyed a great deal. I asked on the net and it seems I was not the only one picking books from that part of the library (the same area that houses the Harry Potter books I might add), and some people suggested Garth Nix was a good author to check out. So I just finish devouring The Seventh Tower series which was a lot of fun to read and a great story, although I do wish it had been longer.
I realized though that we had also been going though Lemony Snickets, A Series of Unfortunate Events, which are fun and silly reads as well, but also "junior level" books.
I am not sure why I am reading so many of these right now, but I think its the focus on a good pure story. So many of the books I read are so full of the authors preaching (Sword of Truth is a good example of this) and convoluted story lines (Malazan Book of the Fallen series) that its a nice break to ready a simple enjoyable story with fun characters and not a lot of unnecessary crap going on. I will not stide by the teen reading shelf with my nose in the air any longer. I will peruse its contents like the rest of the shelves from now on.
I have also decided not to read any more books that are part of a series that is not completed. So unless I can read all of the books of a series in one go, I do not want part of it. I seriously have probably 12 differnet sci-fi/fantasy series on the go right now and I don't like it. It takes so long to get into the newest book of a series when it comes out which I think detracts from the over all enjoyment. Especially when there are so many great completed series out there for one to read already. We will see if I am able to keep this promise, but so far so good.

No comments: