Wednesday, December 01, 2004

A hard nights sleep

So on Monday night Anne worked her first night shift since Maya was born. The reason this is a big deal is that Maya sleeps in the bed with us and is breastfed during the night. So you can see that not having Anne in the bed when she expects a nipple in her mouth might pose a problem (and possibly a night time surprise for me).
I booked Tuesday off.
The night didn't actually go too bad, it could have been better but could have been much worse. She went to sleep at about 11:30pm for me and didn't' wake up until 1:37am when I got into bed (despite the great pains I went to not wake her). The hysterics only lasted about half-an-hour and she fell asleep again. This time she slept until about 6am which was better than I thought she would do. After that it was just a few minutes at a time to get her back to sleep. She would only fall asleep on top of my chest so I wasn't terribly comfortable but it was a small price to pay really.
Anne also got home from work late (8:30am rather than the usually 7:40ish) which didn't really help but we did get about 1 hour of sleep after that.
When Maya woke up (her happy "its time to get up" wake up) I got up and fed her and we when shopping in Owen Sound while Anne got some sleep.
Unfortuntely it was only one night shift so Maya really didn't' have the opportunity to get used to Anne not being there. She has a weekend coming up soon where works 3 nights in a row which should be easier by the third night as (hopefully) Maya will be a bit more used to it then.
We will see I guess.

No comments: