Sunday, April 29, 2012

PYP

PYP- Pick your Poison... and for me it was patience.

This was a training run. A practice in pacing and eating and logistics.
50k in four 12.5k loops. Very similar to the four 20k loops at sulphur.

Had a good time just moving along for the first three loops, except for a parachute on my back reminding me by its sure presence to slow down and not race. By the fourth loop I was soo ready to go. Not sure what the splits are as this point. But I ran most of what I had walked on the other loops. Finished with the sure knowledge I could have done another lap and that I can race it faster. The course had changed over last year. Somebody described it as tough but fair and I can certainly agree. In the entire race there was over 5000metres vertical gain. Only two really tough uphill sections though. Only one section of mud and a small river crossing made for a good day. Stayed mostly on top of eating. Only one episode of nausea but it resolved with time and a ginger candy. Had handful of chips, handful of m&m's, two gels, two energy bars, and a sandwich. If I had been racing it most certainly would have been more.  
One amazing upset that didn't happen was feet blisters. I always get blisters in races regardless of types shoes and socks Wore toe socks and at this point I want to buy stock.

Very happy to have beat somebody who has beaten me several times... even if he got me to the finish.

Next comes a 2-3  longer days, and I think I am good for Sulphur. Just waiting for the post race amnesia to set in prior to signing up.
Work today, and aside from the weariness and chafing- which is nothing new. Feel pretty good. Will be running tomorrow. 
Pictures...I am wearing green and am seen in two. http://www.flickr.com/photos/vertical-pierre/6979554762/in/photostream

No comments: