Sunday, April 14, 2013

Marden Half

I really hate it when people refer to any run as a marathon. Sure I get most people are ignorant of any sport other than hockey and baseball, but people running an event that does not even contain a marathon and call it a marathon... ummm yep... no don't do that.

But I will do any race for less than $20 of which it was. The gas to get me there cost more.
As this is the year in which spring has not come yet, it snowed. Wore compression shorts and long sleeve with my tri club shirt as there were many from the club taking advantage of the rock bottom price.
Started out with a 4:50 pace and basically stayed there. Came into this race on 80k plus already in the bank this week so I knew that perhaps a PB wasn't in the cards. Ran the entire race on the gravel shoulder to save my legs  in fact. Would have been nice to go sub 1:40 but ended up with 1:43. Which isn't a personal worst, so I have that to be glad but basically i am pissed I am that slow. My personal worst is 1:45 and I know I am in better shape than when i did that. I usually run so well on tired legs actually. Maybe I just need to lose five pounds.

Realised when I got home that if I ran five more kilometres that day then my seven day total would be at 100k which would be more than I can recall doing in recent memory, in fact my distance levels have been rather embarrassing sooo I am working on actually being a athlete these days and doing some work.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That run is in our neighbourhood - you would have run past our backyard. It was yucky weather that day.

robi ayles said...

If it makes you feel any better, I also know as little as possible about hockey and baseball too.