Monday, February 13, 2012

Parsnip Soup



Posted by Picasa
The overwhelming question everyday, one to cause my children to either scream at me, or call me the best mommy ever is...'Whats for dinner?'

So how do I come up with the answer?
CSA newsletters
Foodgawker
Epicurious
Simply in season

 The problem is usually too much choice... but I am limited to what is in the house cause I hate making repetitive trips to the grocery. The thing is I can be creative if we do not have a particular ingredient... Luke, not so much. He thinks he can cook without a recipe and I,  who thinks I am better than the current average population,  can not do so yet. As well, many recipes call for meat and I do not want meat OR beans, and yep I forgot to soak them again. Regardless of the recipe- even if it is a simple meal I spend about a hour a day dealing with food- oh and I never clean up. 

Tonights dinner was:

Creamy Apple Parsnip Soup
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 large leek, (white and pale green part only), trimmed, halved lengthwise, washed well, and chopped fine ( I used two small )
• 1 pound parsnips, trimmed, peeled, and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces ( I wanted to use all of ours up so it was like a pound and a half- Added- LOVE cooking with a food scale)• 3 medium apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces ( I used two to make the soup go a little further)• 32 ounces of reduced sodium chicken stock
• 1/2 cup half-n-half
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg ( I used 1/2t)
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (I used 1/2t)
• Salt and pepper
Directions
Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add leeks; cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
Add parsnips, apples, potato, broth, and 2 cups water ( Didn't add the water cause my pot was too small). Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes.
Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth. ( I have an immersion blender- do not do blended soups unless you have one- JUST NOT WORTH IT) Return it to pot; stir in half-n-half. Season with nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and enjoy!



No comments: