Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Nightime Running


After I had competed my race, I hung around a bit, talked a bunch, had the most amazing shower, and made sure Ron was still running,

See he told me to focus on my race, but I was minory distracted by the fact that Ron was going to make an attempt at 100miles. Shhhhh don't tell him this but I was concerned, like REALLY concerned he would not make it. As I read like 1001 blogs I know the training that is required for a 100miler, and thanks to his blog I didn't know if he was there.
So my job was to run with him through the night and help him however I could. Problem is Ron is a giver- he has a really hard time taking. At times he was more concerned about me then his own incredible misery. He actually felt bad about his complaining!!! Good for him I don't empathise so I just reassured but really I found his moaning funny.  I think the man needs selfish training. I mean in the morning another pacer told me how her pacer duties went. She had to be at least 10 feet back so she wasn't breathing down her runners neck,  and was not allowed to say a word. If she was to talk about the the importance of staying on pace she got a hand in the face. Odd from a runner who asked for pacers.
Anyways I intended to run/walk stumble 60k with Ron but I didn't quite make it. I was just too done. I got the sudden irrational urge to JUST LEAVE so I did. Kinda like a paranoid convolution. I made it so far as the 401 and highway 6 and I had to sleep.

I woke up four hours later with the lights on and the ignition turned halfway on. Dead car. Got a boust from some big black dudes hanging out in the parking lot. Good times.

For me the pacing duties taught me a few lessons in preparation for my summer night ultra at dirty girls. Some are my own thoughts and some are taken from observation.
- Need a better head lamp. Thank goodness I was caring a cheapo hand held- I would have been totally stumbling around in the dark
- Prepare EVERYTHING well in advance at home. If there is a thought I might need it, bring it. Once I get to the race site I alwasys want to talk so that does not leave time to prepare there. BE ORGANIZED.
- New shoes, new shoes, new shoes.
-Bring many multiples of everything
- Do not pee in the woods in a hurry. Why?? Dribbles make shorts wet which in turn make skin wet which in turn cause some serious uncomfortableness.
- Several types of lube for different areas of the body
- Calories are everything
- Garbage bags have a million different uses. Bring many.
-Many food options are needed for fickle tummies.
- Take the pain medication

I am sure more will come to me and I will record them here.

As for trainning  my 12hour nighter, I am going to do some 6 hours runs... do I have any takers to join?? Even for an hour or four??
Posted by Picasa

No comments: