Sunday, May 15, 2011

Friends First MIssy HALF 2011

Pain first to get it over with.
Ran the Half- GUN- 1:42:52,  CHIP- 1:38:58.
What this means is the difference between a 7th place AG vs a podium 3rd place AG........and  follows is how could I allow this to happen.....

Today was the running of two of my good friends first marathon, as well three of my run clinic participants from the past were also attempting their first marathon thus,  I really wanted to be there to see it happen, so instead of following my 'do what I love plan' for the year I signed up for the half so I could be there for the excitement.

I thought I could do the half, take a kick at the can of my PB half time and take a stroll through the marathon course after and run in with them. In particular I was really eager to help run Dave finish. I was with  Dave for his first 5k, first half, first 30k, and it was only fitting I was with him for his marathon.

With all of the excitement of the marathon I wasn't really focusing on my race. I had thoughts of sub 1:35. ........but I really didn't think about how I would do that. Things like getting into a corral earlier than 2min before the gun, or maybe not be in the process of taking off my pants when the gun goes would have helped. Endless passing and severing in and out of people most likely added to my time. Slowing down to talk to people added some time. I could have peed myself instead of going to a port a Pottie, or tied my shoelaces better. ( Slightly shame faced)
BUT I wanted to be with my friends until we got to the start line and that's how it played out. I  am really happy with my time, and feel I worked for it as well.... and that's just how the dice rolled.

The highlights of my day included caring for a hypothermia woman in the massage tent, seeing familiar faces and not having to shower after due to the wonderful rain.

After a new friend lent me her warmest jacket I headed out backtracking the marathon course. Wonderful time cheering the half marathoners coming in, and the top marathoners. LOVED yelling to the woman they were in the top 10, and told them to catch number nine. Took my time snacking on a apple and a banana, chatting with the other spectators. Saw Ron of the Westgrey runner fame bringing in some tri club members and marveled at the extent of his smile. New depth today for sure. Caught up the my friends around the 35km mark and brought them in strong- ahead of their goal time.

All in all, would have not missed it, but really why do we run roads when we can run trails???

No comments: