Tuesday, October 28, 2014

NFIM

 
 
This photo is now on my fridge. This photo will remind me on a daily basis until the ironman that you have to work hard for what you want and nothing replaces proper training. It will remind me that I am over just showing up to finish, I want to do better than that. It will remind me of bad it hurts to fail.
 
My motivation to complete the Niagara falls marathon was basically my friends. I am always sad when they go out for training runs with out me, and when they go away to races and have a good time I am devastated. I just do want to miss any of the good times. Everybody was going, one of my friends was trying for her Boston time, there is the appeal of crossing the peace bridge, and it is a flat course so I signed up. My training volume was not the worst, and there was cross training in the form of swim/ bike  but what I see of the meat and potatoes of successful marathon running is the long runs and  just wasn't there. I have reviewed marathon training plans and I was at 50-60% distance volume I should have been.
 
In summery I had one run of 33k, one 28K, one 25K and several around 18-22 leading up to the race. Some might feel that is adequate preparation, and for them perhaps it is good. I just can not pull it off.
 
Race started in Buffalo, around 6k of turn of the century  tree line streets. Very nice. Crossed the bridge with quite a wind. Was running with a friend intermittently. Went pee at the first porta potty I  saw around 10kish. Started to hurt around 15k. Held onto a 5:10ish pace for the first half in 1:49ish. . Was fueling really well. Salt tabs taken. Felt like I had energy but my legs just hurt so bad and they kept slowing down. When the 3:45 pace bunny passed me and there was no chance of hanging with, the only goal I had was to get to the end. I made a deal with myself that I could walk all aid stations with water and for a little break every two songs. Well wouldn't you know there wasn't enough water stations. At the top of the hill before the finish I saw Luke and was just sad at my state, stopped and walked with him for a bit. He offered to run with me in, but I hate how that looks so I kept on going. Saw some friends and completely stopped again, only kept going cause they told me to.  Slowly ran the finish shoot, marvelling  at my personal worseness. Realising that this was my worst death march... and vowed never again will I just come to do the distance cause it sucks.
 
 
 
 

No comments: