Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Woodstock 2014

Ahead of Mt Tremblant 70.3 this year I felt it would be beneficial to do one triathlon, just to remind me of the 'process', and to scare me. It did.

Swim- 750 metres of pure terror. I like pool swimming, love open water. Put me in a triathlon swim and I become a panicking, hyperventilating mess. The water at Woodstock was cold, but once I got going, it didn't bother me at all. There is no focus and I basically can only go two rounds of 4 breaths without freaking out about everybody swimming so much faster then me. So I am doing my crappy front crawl with the person doing breast stroke. At one point, unconsciously when I stopped swimming to gather my courage to continue I said out- loud, 'I hate swimming'. Laughs had by all the people on their backs around me. Times like that I wonder why I even bother.

Bike- Was excited to try out new bike, but even though the course was easy just felt like I could never really open up. The course wasn't a pelition like Guelph lake last year, however I felt like my full potential was not realised.

Run- was reasonable, pushed. Back end on pavement kind a sucks but 5k just goes by so fast. Enough water stations for a warm day. Had fun except about 10metres from the finish line. A women in front of me looked to be about my age so I called out to her, asking if the age on her calf was 33 or 37. When she answered back 37, I responded ' Well you better get going as I am 36.' And she took off, She had more of a kick then me, and she did take off. While I was putting forth a valiant effort my left ankle encountered a root and I went all topsey - turvey. Did not fall but should have rather then try to recover and wrench my ankle in ways it was not meant to go. End result- no running for at least two weeks, very thick and swollen. Going to chiropractor, a lot.

So where does this leave me for Mt Tremblant?? Wanted a sub 6hours- will settle for sub 6:10, and even then I feel like I have done nothing to get me there. Best intentions do not always manifest themselves to show for anything,

No comments: