Thursday, August 29, 2013

#BPMR


Yes I am using a hash tag to title this post cause I am awesome that way. No really I am a media whore and thrive on re- tweeting and public aknologment of my wonderfulness.

Ok enough with the self affirmation. A race report.. 




Luke and I decided to the Bruce Peninsula Multi sport race this year to finally complete last years race which was tragically abandoned  due to thunder and lightening.
This year the weather was fantastic, not to hot, but sunny and clear. Made staying the entire race day on site a pleasure.

The race was slightly altered this year so we did not have to contend with a tandem kayak (Which BTW cost us a $70 rental fee plus $300 for a new side mirror on the car when we took it off) Instead we were able to rent a canoe for $20, which was ready to go at the race site. Score!!

Early on I mentioned using kayak paddles, however that was shot down as 'nobody else will be using them." Ummm yah soooo, some people were, so I was right
The 4k paddle took us 38 minutes. Which was one of the slowest paddles of the day, second slowest of all teams. Basically we did not work well as a team. Luke and I were working independently of each other. As I have no upper body strength Luke just powered through everything I was doing. Also, as we paddle less than three times a year, including the race it could just be lack of skill/practice. The best part about the paddle was we didn't kill each other and everybody was so far ahead of us they didn't laugh at our domestic dispute.

The mountain bike was just as I expected it to be. Mixture of double track snowmobile and ski trails along with some fields and gravel roads. A little rocky but our greatest challenge was passing people safely. We did a lot of passing. Luke lead and I did my best to keep up on the trail. On the road and fields he had to keep up. Super fun  and it went fast. The ride was only 15k, broken into two parts which we did in approximately 24 and 28min. Seems to be on par with other upper level teams in the results.

The run was from Colpoys bay to Blue water park in Wiarton. Approximately 5k, which we did in 32min. I had pre run the course the week before so I could lead and Luke would just have to follow. Typically Bruce trail field/ road/ single dirt track/ rocky sections. We had a little pit break while Luke adjusted his camel back and I went pee in-between some bushes.
This was the greatest challenge of the race for me; I took a look at my watch and knew a time I could make it back to Wiarton in, however as a team we had to stay within 4 meters of each other. At one point I begged Luke to just run harder, and he was going as hard as he could but cause another team was passing us, I went slightly competitive and just wanted to go but couldn't. Also, we ended up having to wait for somebody to climb the spiral staircase on the escarpment before we could descend, which drove me insane. If I was on my own I would have pushed past but Luke is a better person than I soooo......

Definitely want to do this race again next year, I need Luke for the paddle and he pushes me on the bike and we will just have to get more running time in next year. We won our mixed team category. Earning two pottery mugs... I give them until December cause there is a rule in our house. Every nice thing that Anne has gets broken.





My dog bite with a temporary tattoo to make me look all bad ass, hard core mtn biker.






The next race of the day was the kids race. Ever bravely contended against older boys in the 5-7 age grouping. Apparently the feed back from last years race was that it was too short. Thus this year the kids did multiple loops around a run and bike obstacle course, and I think the feed back for 2013 may be too long. Maya was out there for 25min!! They both did exceptionally well and earned gift certificates to the candy store which we promptly we to and made use of. Several times thanking the proprietor for his sponsorship. 



No comments: