Thursday, November 10, 2011

Lunches

I remember once being at my sisters house and there was a discussion about what was for school at lunch that day, and I thought why not just make it it home- it has to be cheaper, more nutritious, and less wasteful.
Now isn't hindsight 20/20.
I was so wrong. What I wouldn't do for school lunches now.

It is a chore in this house we hate. Making the lunches. There is just so many restrictions on what to take, what they will take/eat  and lack of cooking/ heating facilities at the school. I mean if I had to take what they have to take on a daily basis I would starve....and I think sometimes my kids do based on what comes home.

So here is out there on what my kids take on their lunches:
-Hard boiled eggs.
-Chick peas from a can.
-Beans from a can.
-Hummus and something to smear it on.
-Laughing Cow cheese and something to smear it on. I should mention I got into a huge fight last year with a teacher and ended up hanging up on her. Why, cause Maya bought a butter knife to school. She was an idiot who thought one could dip bread into crackers. We also fought about her telling children should not use utensils in general at lunch.(Insert bad word here)
-Pasta in a thermos
-Soup in a thermos
-Leftover bean and squash wraps
-Leftover salad
-Yogurt in a container. We don't buy those individual ones full of sugar so there is always a worry about leakage.
-Sandwich with meat. I don't like meat so we don't have this often.
-Meat sticks- Like hot rods.
-Carrots.
-Cucumbers.
-Green beans so not local nor in season.
-Any fruit except bananas.

What else??
- We can't send granola bars cause the only ones I think are good ( larabars- and are too expensive) have nuts in them.
-Our standard fill up snack is nuts- so foiled again.
-Even when I want to be nice and send a treat... it has nuts in it.
-Some people  are all jacked up on sending 'other butters'. BUT they contain canola oil and are not nutritious and actually may be dangerous. ie. Soy. So really what is the point?
-Most crackers have to many ingredients so I think they are junk.
-Some people send cereal but it is too expensive and that is to many grain products in a day.

But here's the thing, on any given day one of them can decide they don't like it anymore and that is off the list for months. We are not going all out and making custom lunches.
Due to my influence Maya  has expressed concern about her classmates lunches. At one point she asked me to come in to talk about healthy lunches, so my point is we are not going to trade nutrition values for convenience.
I just think it would be easier if we could send nuts... and I am not just saying that cause I sent a peanut butter sandwich once after I had working the night shift.
If anybody has healthy  easy lunch suggestion please do pipe up and let your voice be heard.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rachel said...

what about dried fruit as a treat...not too much cuz they are high is sugar...

cottage cheese and peaches is my new fave thing as a snack at school...got sick of yogurt...not many kids like this though so you might want to do a trial at home first...

how come no bananas? too constipating?

would the kids like smoothies for lunch if kept cold in the proper container?

veggie wraps with noodles and a dipping sauce made with rice paper...these travel really well and can put all kinds of stuff in them...may be too much work to make though after a 12 hr shift...

i like the idea of the flat breads and putting stuff like hummus and veggies, rolling it like a jelly roll and cutting it to look like sushi...

good luck. sucks about the nuts...one of my fave snack foods during lecture.

jeanettedianne said...

what about a whole grain bagel with cream cheese? taco salad? homemade pizza slices that you made at home so you control whats on it? I used to make veggie pizza a head of time for my kids lunches with tons of red and green peppers, broccoli, mushrooms etc and then they would eat it cold in their lunches. it was a nice treat. or i would make them lettuce tomato, cucumber and cheese sandwiches. my kids hated meat, so i know your dilemma. bean salad was a favorite too.