Monday, March 29, 2010

Around the Bay 2010

I had some high hopes for the race. I had hoped to smash my time of last year by 1.30min- finishing in under 2:30- and achieving a sliver metal... I had hoped this until about a week prior... see below- ankle injury. BUT i did do everything I could to make it happen- I picked up an extra shift thus allowing me to see the chiro, buy some homeopathic stuff, some other top secret stuff, I sat on my butt all week, I iced like a crazy person, and I even exposed myself to radiation to ensure there wasn't a stress fracture there. But it wasn't just my day....

I think that mentally I had lost my push because I mentally prepared myself all week to not run the race so when it came to race, and I was able to race I just didn't have the drive. I also I have been suffering some insomnia and haven't been sleeping well for a few weeks now. My other excesses are:
-There is a point in my cycle when I naturally have low energy levels- and this was it.
-I had the beginnings of a something yesterday and today my throat is a scratchy mess with lots of phlegm.
- I just don't think I get enough hill/ tempo work in.

I probleary started out to fast, but I wanted to run if I had to stop at 10k due to my ankle but right when I saw Kim I realised I was dropping off pace, by 18k when I saw the 2:30 bunny pass me and I had no hope of staying with him that my day was turning into a tempo Marathon pace day. I finished strong, hoping I wouldn't be too beat up today.. but I think the damage was already done, stairs are an issue today. People keep on looking at me cause I'm walking funny.

It wasn't a total disaster, I have a time I am still proud of, and I know there is always next year. I had great fun, I met Kim at the expo, a blog of which I have been enjoying for quite a while. I met some Running Manics on the go... Was it British accent Mark?? Wearing Ascis and is a fore- foot runner? Tons of people asked about the Saugeen Triathlon Club.
And just to get me through the last few kilometres I sang.. at the top of my lungs Eye of the Tiger, and Run to Me. I think I made a few peoples day.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Confessions: I don't read every word of your race posts but...that is a great picture of you!!

(I really can't imagine you singing Eye of the Tiger!! Scary.)

Erika

West Grey Runner said...

Anne, you rocked! Some running days are just better the others ...its just the way it goes sometimes. I saw you cross the finish line with a big smile and having fun with another runner. The time may not have been what you wanted but the beauty of our hobby is that you will get another crack at it, again and again and again. Keep on having fun!

1ironatatime said...

British accent Mark here! That was me, I'm sorry we got separated at the water station, I was enjoying our conversation.

Just as WGR said in his comment, some days are better than others, but there are always other days.

Good luck with the tri season!