Sunday, December 14, 2008

Egg Nog Jog

Surprisingly I had a pretty good day. It was one of those races where it didn't matter how I placed, the only competition was myself and I defined my own success.
The reason why I chose this race was because it was in December- i like to race at least once a month, and around two hours drive. The 10.8km Egg Nog jog follows a country block, staged at Terra Cotta conservation area. It is a hilly course- although not as hilly as I was expecting. It was mostly gravel hard packed with slushy snow and a few kilometres of wet pavement.
I felt my race went well. Of course I over dressed- i would have been comfortable in what I was wearing had it been a training run but not a race. I wore my saconey jacket, asics long sleeve, saconey tights, running room hat, smart wool socks, and saconey mitts. I should have worn Capri and long sleeve with dollar store mitts, perhaps a wind vest if I had one. Thus I was hot.
I ended up running with a gentleman with bright jacket and a Asian woman with shapely calves. At the finish line we all thanked each other for pushing each other hard. Other then being hot my shoelaces were driving me nuts. I had to stop TWICE to re tie- tuck into my shoes. Come to think of it I ran the last 5km of Niagrea with untied shoes because I didn't want to stop. Hmmm I think I need to think about new shoelaces... or new shoes :) Great food post- soup, yogurt, ripe bananas, CAKE, Tim Horton's coffee, egg nog and chocolate milk. Saw Westgrey Runner. Chatted it up with another woman who ran who also had two kids. A little unhappiness with a runner from wiarton who thinks I'm rotten, but hopefully that will work itself out in the future. BY the numbers...
Goal time- 55min( I really haven't been training)
Actual time 50:43
Overall 86/520
Female 13/242
Age-30-39- 5/67

AND there was activities for the kids in a heated building.
AND the handout was not a stupid cotton tee- shirt but a stainless steel bottle. I would definitely do this race again.


AND on the way home we stopped at winners and I bought myself TWO SWEATERS. NEW!!!!!!

No comments: