Sunday, November 30, 2008

Wintercross 5km

I set a goal and I didn't make it. First of the year.
MY goal for this cross country race in the snow was 22min. I did it around 23:47. Goes to show you get out what you put in.

So this race was a community event run on the same course as the masters/Juniors/ Seniors national championship. I thought about masters cross country but because I do not belong to a track team I really didn't think I could enter the races...actually I'm still not sure on that point. In any event I actually didn't have any time this fall to run the Ontario series so at very least I thought it would be fun to run one cross country race.

Now what I am learning about cross country is it leisure trail NOT hiking trail. Sure there are hills but there are no branches to whip your face, no roots covered by leaves to trip you, but there can be mud which is fun. In yesterdays case there was snow- hard packed and slushy snow. Spikes would have helped. Of course anything would have helped. I felt slow, fatigued and sluggish. Just didn't have kick in me. True I was hot- had over dressed and had nobody at the start line to hand my gear off to, but there was just no excuse for my time. I know I haven't been doing enough focused workouts, and have kinda lazy about 'getting work done' , which is why I am interested in having a coach. Somebody who can direct my workouts and allow me to make the most out of my time.

On a positive note I have shaved seven seconds off my 50metre swim time.. and can actually swim 100 metres before passing out from excursion. Seriously I stop and cry to catch my breath for a few minutes. Although the iron man who is helping me I think cringes every time he sees me in the water. Don't worry I always swim in the lane closest to the lifeguards.

No comments: