Saturday, February 02, 2008

A lifetime of pretty things

The Maddock family gathered today to clean and sort through the remaining objects in John and Sallys Elm street home. John and Sally are Lukes maternal grandparents and I have known them for 12 years, the years that Luke and I have been a couple. They have always have been and will be family to me. They as a couple have made me feel so loved and welcome. Be it with always enduring the fire on high cause they know how much I love it, to giving me that special chocolate, to praying with us, to completly understanding why I kept my name, and to giving me special pretty presents. Sally is a lover of all that is beautiful. As a artist she could work magic with paint, fabric, old cards, wallpaper, flowers, words, and so much more. I felt inspired in her home with her creative touches. She made banners for the church, advertisments for pancake dinners, unique paintings, collages of birthday cards, and published a book of poetry. When the time came to sort through her belongings the most cherished items were the ones in which she had made, not the things which had been bought.

We all need to slow down from busy lives, forget that the dishes are not done, stop driving places , plus all the other millions of excuese we have. We need to start thinking or learning about doing. Write, take photographs, sew, cook, paint, draw, sing, garden.

No comments: