Friday, May 07, 2004

So the last 3 weeks have been very aggravating as well as a little humbling at work. Most of you probably won't understand a word of this next bit why.
I purchased Small Business Server 2003 for my network to have the updated Windows Server 2003 platform and its Exchange 2003 software. But it turns out that, I didn't' know the limitations of it and I couldn't actuatly add it to my network, that took about 3 days to figure out.
No big deal though, I had a copy of Windows 2000 Server for the machine I was installing it on and so I returned SBS 2003 and decided to by just the plane-jane Exchange 2003 Standard by itself and install it on the now reinstalled Win2K server. Since the copy would be a while in coming I downloaded the trial version and installed that. Everything SEEMED to go smoothly until I went to set up the Internet mail server portion of it. That's when the fun starts. I got an error, and not just any error. Oh no, its an error that no one on the interet seems to know how to fix and Microsoft doesn't know about yet. Also because I hadn't actually purchased Exchange yet, they refuse to help me. But I don't want to buy it if its not going to work, so its a catch 22.
So after 2 and half weeks of screwing around trying to get help from MS and looking in every nook and cranny of the web for answers I finally figured it out myself and and got it all installed and working today! HURRAY! It will probably take a month or so to get everyone in the hospital on it but at least I know the server is running now.

Anyway I had to get that off my chest. That was very frustrating.

No comments: