Thursday, May 09, 2013

Missasuaga Marathon

Well at least I had fun for most of it.....

Had initially hoped to qualify for Boston with this race. After what happened this year in Boston, kinda have a feeling it will fill up quickly with people qualifying with faster times. Then I heard the weather forecast for the day of the race... and lets just say I wasn't in the mental game to do it.

Started out in group of STCers. Ran together, having a ton of fun, until 30ish when I thought I was going to have diarrhea in my pants, was just a feeling and after sitting in a porta potty realised this and caught up with two of my friends.... but my momentum was gone. At that point I stuck with my friends for a few more km in the tree lined sections, but once we started running on Lake shore blvd I just wasn't into it. My hip was aching. Both of my legs were throbbing from the pavement and all I wanted was an ultra aid station. I was bang on with my nutrition and hydration but my legs were staging a protest against the impact of every step vs the relentless pavement.  As my BQ time came and went I just thought, what do I have to prove- nothing. Why but put myself through this torture and took it rather easy bringing it in. In all honestly I just shuffled across the finish line, hurting.

I was hurting for about half and hour but once an Advil kicked in and the pounding had stopped, I was good. How good? I went shopping at square one for a few hours later in the day. Usually, I try to avoid movement of any type post long races.

So marathon #2 is in the bag. I realise now that perhaps a month of training will not get you a Boston time. I also wonder if there is a market for a certified marathon run on gravel roads in this part of the world.

Oh and I made the video!

2 comments:

Erika Mills said...

I looked for you...blue shirt?

Anne said...

Pink tank top- yelling get out there magazine.