Sunday, March 14, 2010

Not the Smartest Thing To Do...

The other day I went for a run, gratefully provided for by Erika. I had planed on a simple out for a half hour and return- negative splitting of course. I did the first 30minutes without incidence, arriving at a T intersection. I could have turned around and went back where I came from OR I thought it might be fun to go on the No exit road that was a snowmobile path, thus completing a square back to Erika house.

The snowmobile trail was rough going- few sink holes, lots of mud, and many puddles- nothing a good trail runner can't handle. After about 10min I figured I should have met the road but instead the trail veered east when I needed to go west. Frustration abound, I turned around and ran back along that snowmobile trail. Now my destination is right along the hydro towers pathway and so coming across them I figured I could cut across the country side and take a fun short cut. Ten minutes later my legs are scratched from branches, I have had snow up to my knees- wearing shorts of course, and I come across a field of boulders. I admit defeat and turn around. I ended up being 25minutes late.. and I don't think Erika was to mad.

This would have not been so bad except for the fact I didn't have my cell phone on me, I had told no one where I was going, I was actually just in shorts and bra so if I had to stop/ injured I would be hypodermic rather quickly and I had no defence against wild animals. The pack of deer I saw wasn't likely to hurt me but the pack of coyotes I have seen in the past might have mistaken me for dinner.

3 comments:

Brock said...

Be careful! You don't want to get hypodermic out there in the woods... all those pointy needles.

Erika Mills said...

Who'da thought Allan Park could be so dangerous>?! I blame my lack of exercise on coyotes.

Anonymous said...

Wildlife warnings

Coyotes can be found in rural and urban area across Canada. They often shy away from humans, but if one does approach, here's what to do:

Be aggressive yourself: Wave your arms, stomp and yell loudly in a deep voice to deter it from coming closer.

Stand your ground: Stay where you are and look it in the eye. Never run away; it is more likely to consider you prey, give chase and seriously harm you.

Be prepared: The best defence is a good offence; carry a whistle, flashlight and/or personal alarm. This is especially important for small children who play outside or walk to school in areas where coyotes have been spotted.

Stay together: If you are walking in an area that has high coyote activity, never do so without a companion